The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gluten Free/Dairy Free Baby!

So these past few days we have embarked on a totally new way of food life around our house. Well, at least for Kayleigh....

A permanently swollen set of tonsils and a variety of other symptoms led me to take Kayleigh to an Acupuncturist and Chinese Herbalist. I was certain if I took her to a GP, they would just want to remove her tonsils and I was going on a hunch that she may have a food allergy or sensitivity of some sort. So, after our visit to get Kayleigh checked out, the Acupuncturist was onto the same hunch! Now, we are on day 4 of a dairy free and gluten free diet to see if we cant figure out what is up with Ms. Kayleigh.

I am finding it surprisingly easy so far, the only real difference is the cost of food. A box of 5 gluten free granola bars costs almost $8!! So, I am determined to make things on my own. My first experiment was a bit of a cheat, but well, I'm a busy gal these days! I bought a mix for gluten free muffins. And here is how they turned out!



I used almond milk and vegan butter instead of regular milk and butter.




We beat up the eggs and butter.


Then we stirred in the almond milk and muffin mix and gently folded in our blackberries at the end.





We spooned them into our muffin tray and popped them into the oven. We got about 22 muffins all together, enough to freeze the extras!



 Kayleigh, and the rest of us too, loved them! And the box of mix cost me less than $5, added with the other ingredients I spent less than $7 on 22 muffins.
So this is my new challenge.... Making gluten and dairy free food at a low cost. Wish me luck!! And stay tuned, because were making some bread tonight....yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I know many people who are making their own treats and eats at home as a healthier and cheaper option! I think it's great that you're taking this tack on the subject and sharing it with us all :D Thank you and keep up the great work fantastic Mom! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out the 'gluten free goddess' site, great recipes!

    ReplyDelete