The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Peas, Glorious Peas!!!

Well my first attempt at a veggie garden has taught me many things. First of all, I need more sunshine for almost all my plants. The exception to that? My peas!!



My peas have turned out some kind of wonderful and everytime I look at them I want to sing, "peas, glorious peas!", to the tune of "food, glorious food!" (from 'Oliver' for those who think I have gone nuts...) The reason they have grown so well is they have the ideal amount of sunlight, sunny in the morning and evening without the hot midday sun. Either that, or Elysabeth has a magical touch, as she was the one to plant them!



My only regret is that I should of grown a whole garden box full, not just a few rows. I planted the first rows just before May long and the second rows a couple of weeks after. We have been enjoying them now for a couple of weeks and they are so superior to frozen peas. Also, they are fun to pick and shell for the girls and I only lose a few to some hungry little mouths along the way!!


I am yet to come up with some clever recipe in which to incorporate them, so stay tuned, but for now we like them just plain ol' steamed, I kind of don't want to mess with a perfect thing.



Next year I am hoping to plant enough so I can freeze them, I also want to plant enough of everything so I can really save on groceries! With two growing girls, (I swear girls can eat as much as boys) and us I will do anything these days to save a few bucks at the grocery store! Oh, did I mention I am sooooo into couponing these days? But that's another post I think.....
What I will say is, "Mr. Hillis, I need a deep freeze and more garden boxes!!" Now I will sneak off to bed so I don't have to deal with the repercussions of this statement till tomorrow...ha ha ha....

1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog sister! I am so proud of you and all of your amazing gardening and cooking skills!!

    ReplyDelete