The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Spoiled Squash Part 2: Return of the zucchini!!!




Well I now know to never give up! If you read my earlier post about my squash I actually almost pulled them all up because they were taunting me with their yellow leaves and puny vines. But, alas they have returned!! I have acorn squash, zucchini, and even a little cucumber!! My pumpkin is growing like its creating a magical carriage to take Cinderella to the ball, it has 3 small pumpkins on it and more coming!


pumpkin...can't even get it all in the shot!

I'm not to sure if anything will actually ripen enough before the cold sets in, but I may at least get to eat a baby zucchini or a baby cucumber. I think with the pumpkins I will pick all the new growth so the plant can put its energy into creating a couple of MONSTERS for Halloween.







baby cucumber (maybe good for one dill pickle??)

Now I'm torn for next year! I was sure the bark mulch was ruining the plants, but perhaps it was just the transplanting and then the serious lack of sun this spring? Do I put them there again next year? I think I  may have to wait to see how many garden boxes I can get out of my Husband!!

For now I will bask in the glory of my revitalized squash and worry about next year......well, next year!


One thing I know though is that I will never give up again on my little plants!! And, its amazing what a little sun can do to garden, perhaps it was a bad year for me to start experimenting with my veggies, with our serious lack of sun and warm weather. All I know is next year I am one more step ahead, and maybe one day (in the far future...) I can claim to be a pro!!

acorn squash

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Everything looks amazing! Trial and Error right?!! Ha Ha
    Love Elyse xoxo

    ReplyDelete