The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Garden in Bloom!



It has been such a wonderful past couple of weeks. My tomatoes are FINALLY ripening, my squash are growing and my fall veggies I planted from seed are growing at a rapid rate.

Pumpkins
Beefsteaks


I have been doing some reading on a fall garden and am experimenting with growing some seeds that I planted a few weeks ago. I am trying beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas and radishes. And so far they seem to be doing well, my only concern is the brussel sprouts as they usually should of been planted a few weeks before I got them in, even for a late crop.
I also popped in some spinach that you 'overwinter', so we will see how that goes!



This trial season for growing my garden has taught me so much. I am looking forward to an even bigger and better garden next season, hopefully with a little more success, especially in the bean department. Beans are one of my favourite things to have from the garden and I only was able to bag one small batch for the freezer. A lack of sun and a bug infestation left them as my worst veggie I think. Unlike my cucumbers, acorn squash, zucchini and pumpkins, they did not fight to make a miraculous comeback!

 
Acorn squash
Cucumber


For now I will bask in the glories of my wonderful garden in bloom and just take it all in. It wont be too long till the frost will come and I will be back to gazing out the window and plotting my next summers gardens.....
But I won't rush it, I have a long list of fall chores to do that include transplanting, planting spring bulbs, planting garlic and getting my Husband to dig up bushes and build more garden boxes, I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment