The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Applesauce....finally!



Wow, what a busy month! One of the things that has been constantly bumped on my to do list is pick the apples from the apple trees. But alas, I have done it! This is actually our second big pick this season and I ended up with a whole lot of wonderful apples. I am yet to figure out what kind they are but I think 3 of the trees are gala apples (or something similar) and the other one is a mystery to me... Its kind of like a fiji, but with shinier skin, suggestions welcome!

Of course, after I picked the fruit I had to decide what the heck to do with it, and because it's so super easy and quick, (I said I have been busy!) I went with the never fail applesauce.

With my two helpers in tow, and a guest photographer, (thanks my sister from another mister, Shalane) we got to work!



Applesauce is pretty much the easiest thing to create with apples. You just peel them, chop them up and place over low heat on the stove, with the lid on. Stir occasionally and when its all soft I like to use a masher to get the last lumps. I sometimes have to add a bit of honey, but these apples were sweet enough and even caramelized a bit. The final product turned out a nice warm brown colour and tasted nice and sweet!



I now have about 8 jars of yummy applesauce in the freezer and a huge box left for further creations or just snacking. One thing that's great about home grown apples, other than we only have to walk out back to have a fresh one, is that they are not too big and fit perfectly in little hands!

Next on the list? I have a super yummy apple cake, so stay tuned. And if anyone needs some apples, come help yourself, I have a few to spare!

No comments:

Post a Comment