The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Papplesauce... (not a typo...)





Ok folks, so we had applesauce a couple of weeks ago, and now papplesauce! However, the reasoning is quite different... I made applesauce to use up the apples on our trees, I made papplesause to fix up the kids coughs... no lie...


Elysabeth had a cold about two months ago, which with came a lingering, come and go, phlegmy type cough. Back when it started I asked my acupuncturist and friend if she had any recommendations, and she suggested to make a applesauce out of asian pears and feed it to Elysabeth for a couple of days, "will clear it up in no time!".
I replied to her, "oh, like a papple?".
And I believe her reply was "ummmm, yes, I guess so if that is what you call it?".
Funny thing is, as I have been telling this story to co-workers and friends lately, they have given me the same response.... Does no one else call this fruit a papple? Seriously people.....!


Anyways, back to the sauce.... Now, I did not heed my friends advice then, as Elysabeth made a temporary recovery from the attack of the phlegm, but a couple of weeks ago both my lovely girls had return of the cough. Every night before bed and all night, we were hearing hacking, phlegmy coughs from both our girls bedrooms. No one was actually sick, they just had the cough, poor kids!
So, my Husband brought home the papples and I whipped up some papplesauce with cinnamon. I had enough so they both had a bowl that night, and another the next morning.
Now, no word of a lie here, the coughing and phlegm has disappeared at my house. I am totally in awe, (not that I doubted you Diana!) But just that something so simple and wonderfully easy can make my children's life that much better. And not only easy, but yummy and healthy for them! Blows my mind, seriously...


So next time you have that lingering, attack of the phlegm, type cough, whip your self up some papplesauce!!

1 comment:

  1. Love the story! Your writing syle, the inclusion in the Webster dictionary of the word papple is now official, and that the girls recovered! What a Mom (and Dad) they have. Yeah!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete