The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Gluten/Dairy free awesomeness!!!



Today, feeling somewhat confident in my gluten free abilities, I decided to attempt my first gluten free cupcake. And what resulted was a little piece of heaven. I don't know what the best part was, having created a gluten and dairy free cupcake, or watching my 2 year old gobble it up like it had been years since she had cake (it's been only 2 months really.....).

I took my vanilla cupcake recipe that I have posted before and made only a few alterations.

I substituted the following:
milk - almond milk
butter - Earth's Balance vegan spread
flour - rice flour with xanthan gum

I also cooked them for about 25 minutes, instead of the 15 for my last batch. They turned out slightly dense, but still moist and soft. The taste was awesome! I'm almost thinking that the almond milk adds some nutty flavours to it, making it even more yummy!

For the icing I went with the normal buttercream, not the cooked one like I usually do. I wasn't too sure if the Earth's balance spread would act like butter, and also my electric beater is broken :( On that note, I mixed my whole batter by hand, and I swear the butter got fluffier than normal with the wooden spoon instead of the mixer, hmmmm.... Perhaps the old fashioned way works the best???
But back to the icing... I mushed up almost 1/2 cup of the Earths Balance with a wooden spoon, added about 3 cups of icing sugar and mixed these up. Then I added almond milk till I got to the consistency I liked. I found that I had to add more almond milk than I would usually add cows milk, don't know why though.... I put in about a TBSP at a time...

So, if you need a gluten and dairy free cupcake you have to try these. You wont even be able to tell the difference!

Here is the link again to the recipe I used...
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/moist-vanilla-cupcakes/

No comments:

Post a Comment