The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

All Hail the Kale!!

 Kale..... Yummy I say! My family??? Well, I have my Husband aboard but the kids are yet to convince. Here is my little kale patch in the garden. It has been doing very well this summer, as most of my cool temperature loving veggies. Perhaps there is something good about this cold summer?!!

So, if you read my earlier post you will know this day started a bit crazy! A split lip interfered with my painting, cleaning and cooking plans, but I got one of three done at least(cooking that is!). Also, I am happy to say Kayleigh did not need any stitches, I think that my sigh of relief was so large the doctor thought I might cry!
Anyways, back to kale.....

Normally I make a kale salad, see recipe below...super yummy, but only my Husband and I will eat it, the raw kale is a funny texture for the girls, and they make that "I don't think so Mom" face. So today I thought I would try baking the kale like chips. I started like usual, searched the internet till I found a collection of recipes that both sounded yummy and included ingredients I already had. This last point is especially important as I am way too lazy to drag the kids to the grocery store for no reason! Then I decided that I wanted cheese on mine, cause who doesn't like cheese? And also, I have a small addiction to cheese...any cheese...at anytime.........really...
So, here it is... my interpretation of kale chips, pretty awesome....just sayin'!

Baked Kale Chips

Ingredients
Kale (obviously)
1 TBSP olive oil
 salt
paprika
garlic powder
2 TBSP finely grated cheddar cheese
(I used cheddar because that was what I had, but parmesan would be better..)

Heat oven to 350

First I washed up my lovely little batch of kale from the garden, then dried it super well. An important step, because we don't want any steam while cooking, steam = soggy chips.


use this side for your cheese....



Next I put it in a bowl and drizzled about a tablespoon of olive oil over top. Then I massaged the oil in so it was spread to all the little nooks and cranny's. I placed these on a tinfoil lined baking sheet and sprinkled my finely grated cheddar on top.

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until crispy, but not too brown or they start to taste a bit like overcooked broccoli! I also used the convection to crisp the cheese on top, worked very well!
Meanwhile mix up a couple shakes of paprika, garlic powder and salt in a bowl... This is how much I made and it was waaaayyy too much, I used about 1/3 of this.


Sprinkle this on your cheesy kale chips and voila! Yummy, yummy yummy.....
They turned out crispy, cheesy and delicious! Only one piece was a little soggy, but I think the oils from the cheese made it so, next time...parmesan for sure.
 
Kayleigh gobbled them up like potato chips! Elysabeth, not so much, pretty sure she associated them with kale salad and wanted nothing to do with them. The Husband? Not sure yet because he wont be home till tonight, however Kayleigh and I just may eat them all up before he gets here!

So, survey says? Yes, I would make these again, half kid approved and very Mom approved! Here is my kale salad as well for anyone who wants to check it out.....

Kale Salad

Kale
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
fresh grated Parmesan
pecans cherry tomatoes

Chop up the kale fairly finely and place in a bowl
Drizzle oil and vinegar over top, sprinkle some parm and soak for a couple hours in the fridge
Place kale on plate
Cut cherry tomatoes in half
Sprinkle more parm ( I said I loved cheese!)
put pecans on top and serve!

Good luck with your kale adventures! If you have any other kale recipes let me know, I still have tons in the garden. And in case you didn't know how good kale is for you, here is a link http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/kale.html.
Happy cooking!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment