The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cream Cheese Icing (oh, and carrot cake too...)

How can we improve already yummy icing? Add cheese I say! Seriously, is there anything that cheese doesn't go with? Today, spur of the moment of course, we decided to stray from the norm and whip up a carrot cake. This way I can tell myself that it's not really dessert, but actually a serving of my daily veggies, I almost had myself convinced too, until the cream cheese icing!

The cake recipe I got from a book titled "A Piece of Cake" by Susan G. Purdy. I took it out from the library and it has been an old fashioned kinda book, but still some good tips and cakes in it. The actual cake was ok, could of been a little more moist I think...
The icing I just kinda made up myself, and there was A LOT of it, so maybe even half the recipe below would suffice.
So here it is, carrot cake with cream cheese icing!




CARROT CAKE

Ingredients:


Flour, 1 cup
baking soda, 1 tsp
2 eggs
sugar, 1 cup (turned out pretty sweet, like 1/2 cup would prob do...)
vegetable oil, 3/4 cup
vanilla, 1 tbsp
cinnamon, 1 tsp
grated carrot, 1 1/2 cups
ground flax, 3 tbsp (the recipe called for wheat germ, but I only had flax)
crushed pineapple, 3/4 cups and walnuts, 1/2 cup (I had neither of these, so we went without!)

Preheat oven to 350.



First I mixed the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and cinnamon with the hand blender.




Then I sifted in the flour and b. soda, added the flax (not in the sifter cause it would get stuck!), then tossed in the carrot. I gave it a quick stir to blend and placed it in my greased baking pan. The recipe said to "rub shortening" all over the pan, but I opted to give it a quick spray with the canola oil and it worked great.




I then tossed it in the pan then in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes. I feel like I should of maybe pulled it out 3-5 minutes earlier, so check at 35 minutes. Let it cool completely.





While it was cooling I made up the icing. Its so super easy!


CREAM CHEESE ICING



Ingredients:


1 package cream cheese, softened to room temp
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature as well, but not melted!!!
1 tsp vanilla

Throw in bowl
Mix with hand mixer
Lick beater........and bowl.......




Next I sliced my carrot cake in half so I could not only top it with the cream cheese icing, but also layer it, the more the better!!
I had to let it cool again so as not to melt the icing when I put it on.



I then spread out the cream cheese goodness both in the middle AND on top!!


All that is left to do now is enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment