The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Not yo' Mama's Meatloaf

Meatloaf... We all know it's got a bad rep, greasy loaf, straight up meat, maybe some ketchup... Well my friends say goodbye to the ghetto meatloaf of your past and hello to meatloaf a la 2011!!!
Easy peasy to make, quick to cook and great if you are having one of those "what the heck to make for dinner cause I'm lazy" moments.

I kind of threw whatever in it, but any veggies would go, and I used ground beef, but ground turkey would work too.

Not yo' Mama's Meatloaf


Ingredients

Ground beef
2 eggs (I started with one, but upped it to two cause of all the extra veggies I put in)
Worcestershire sauce, about 1/4 cup
garlic powder, few shakes
ketchup, about 1/2 cup
breadcrumbs (I make my own from all my bread ends that no one in the family eats, just save them up in the freezer and bake at a lower temp, 275ish, till toasted) Also, make sure you crunch them up so the crumb is fine, a few bigger bits are ok though...
parsley, rosemary, thyme, a few sprigs of each  (I grabbed mine from the garden, but dry would be ok too)
veggies: I used, grated carrot and zucchini, finely diced mushrooms, finely chopped kale and grated onion.
S & P




Mix all your goods into the bowl until all blended up.
I put mine into a muffin tray cause I thought it would be more fun for the kids, but a loaf pan works too.


Add some ketchup on the top, cause it makes it kind of sticky, sweet and yummy!


Toss in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.

And here you have it, meatloaf that is a far cry from your Mom's. Also great for kids who have a dislike to veggies, (they wont even know they re in there, shhhhh...) We served ours up with rice and some fresh tomato and cucumber, I believe we all finished our plates!




No comments:

Post a Comment