The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberries and Pastry

So far my summer in the garden has been so rewarding. I am lucky to have a wonderful Husband that basically turned 1/4 acre of overgrown mess into a gorgeous lawn and veggie garden. My only complaint? (sorry Mr. Hillis...) I need MORE veggie growing room! But we will leave that till next season....

One thing we did not have to create ourselves is the strawberry patch. We have been so fortunate to have LOADS of fresh strawberries, which subsequently has lead to a lot of baking with the yummy berries.



So far we have had strawberry/rhubarb/apple crisp, (with our own rhubarb too!), berry surprise cupcakes, (see photo on main page), and strawberry/rhubarb tarts.

The tarts are made with my Grandmother's very own pastry recipe, "Never fail" she calls it, however I beg to differ!

Although this time I think it may have turned out the best yet, I have had many failed experiences in the past. Much to my Grandmother's dismay I'm sure, I am yet to make it like her... I will get there Grandma!

So, my family has suffered through many dense, tasteless pastries, and always they eat with a smile, that's what happens if you put enough sugar in something I guess!
So here it is, Grandma's recipe...... Maybe you will perfect it??

Pastry (Never Fail)

5 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 lb shortening
1 egg
1 tsp. vinegar

Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Blend in shortening until it resembles oatmeal. Beat egg, add vinegar to egg and enough water to make it all one cup. Mix with dry ingredients. Roll out.
Makes enough for one pie crust with top.

You can either split it up for tarts in a muffin tray, do a whole pie, or even freeze it! I used half for my tarts and the other half to make a shell for quiche the next night.

Strawberry Filling

Chop up enough strawberries to fill your tarts or pie, coat them liberally with flour and sugar and put them in the uncooked pastry. I baked mine at 375 until they were bubbly and the pastry is light golden.

TIPS!!! After many failed attempts, this is what I've learned...

Don't use butter for the pastry, butter is not always better!
Don't over mix the pastry, a little unblended as you roll out is good.
I used pastry and cake flour last time and liked it, (but Grandma uses all purpose!).
Don't overcook the pastry, it becomes not so tender-flaky....


Good luck to anyone who tries it and please let me know how yours turned out! I am always looking for new suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I love it! :D And is that a picture of your place in the background of the blog?! So good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our backyard! Im loving it.....

    ReplyDelete