The everyday life of an amateur Mother, gardener baker and cook.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Craving some bacon carbonara??



Mmmmmmmm bacon!! For the past couple of days I have been craving a salty something. I bought some salami for a yummy sandwich, but alas, it did not curb the craving. Then a couple of nights ago I was watching "Master Chef" and one the the chefs whipped up a little tasty looking carbonara, "that's it!!" I thought, "that will surely put my mind and body in a happy place!!

I am lucky enough to get to eat at my parents house quite often, when the Husband works nights and I'm too lazy to cook, I head over there. As yesterday my Mom was going to be the chef I tossed the subject out there, "bacon Ma?" Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree you know, of course she agreed.


Now, I get a lot of my cooking skills and tips from my Mom, which is why we work so well in the kitchen together. We kind of just do without thinking and usually our end results are quite good .Neither of us had ever made a carbonara, but my Mom and I both are into this 'trying of new things' mode lately, so we dove in.  Also, my Mom, just like me, likes to read a bunch of recipes then decide which parts sound the best out of each and throw them all together. So that's what we did! Below is our very own version of what we thought would work the best, and it turned out super yummy, enjoy!


Bacon Carbonara



Ingredients:

1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp olive oil
1 package bacon
1/4 cup chives
noodles of your choice, we used spaghetti

Cook up your bacon and get your noodles on too, this is a quick dinner! Once the bacon is cooked, dice it up. Drain the fat off from the bacon pan but leave the bits on the bottom of the pan.



I had to document this pan because it brought up the only disagreement we had. I said it was too burnt, but Ma said it was OK.... Ma was right.......

Then whisk together the cheese, eggs, olive oil and whipping cream in a bowl.


Another sign I am my Mother's daughter? All the recipes we saw said amounts less than 1 cup of parm, but my Mom says "nothing wrong with extra cheese!".





Once the noodles are cooked add them to your bacon pan, (which is off the burner and cooled down) and stir it all up. The hot noodles should help to scrape the pan of all it's bacony goodness.
While the noodles are still hot add your egg mixture and stir. The heat from the noodles will cook the eggs a just enough so the sauce is a nice, not to runny, consistency.

Add you bacon and chives to this.




We served ours with my Mom's new Mediterranean chickpea salad (you will have to get that one from her) and some yummy crusty bread. It was perfect!!

All said and done I was curbing my appetite in about half an hour. The only thing that makes a meal better (besides cheese of course) is when I can cook it fast, love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment